Cupcakes

Cupcakes
Diary of a Foodie

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Vegetable Lo Mein

 I have been making tons of stir frys lately trying to get in my daily allotment of vegetables. I gag. Every salad I eat, I gag. It's just too much. So, I needed a bit of a change from the standard stir fry or salad.

Enter vegetable lo mein. Vegetables, noodles, a sweet and savory sauce. Sign me up.

Now with all of my recipes, you can make this your own. This is just a guide. Don't like spicy? Tone the sauce down. Don't like mushrooms? Don't use them. Want to add meat? Brown up some chicken, steak, pork, shrimp, whatever. Make it yours.




Vegetable Lo Mein

serves 8

2 whole carrots, peeled, cut into matchsticks
8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 red pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 cup broccoli florets
1/2 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 c whole snow peas
1 yellow squash, cut into rounds
2- 8 oz packages of stir fry noodles (I found them near the mushrooms in the produce section. Can't find them? Substitute udon noodles, ramon noodles, or even spaghetti noodles)

Prep all your vegetables and then in a large sauté pan, heat up 1 TBSP olive oil. Add all the vegetables and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until cooked but not mushy. Add the stir fry noodles (the ones I got were already cooked. If your's aren't, boil them first.) Add the lo mein sauce and stir till all vegetables are coated. Serve immediately.

If adding meat, cook the meat in the same pan BEFORE you cook the vegetables. When it's cooked through, remove from heat and set it aside until you assemble entire dish.

Lo Mein Sauce

1/2 c sweet red chili sauce
1/4 c plum jam (or apricot jam)
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP water

Whisk all ingredients together and set aside till vegetables are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment