Cupcakes

Cupcakes
Diary of a Foodie

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Chicken Pesto Pizza

I love a good pizza. I'm not really impressed with pepperoni, sausage or any regular ingredients. I like flavor, lots of different flavors, co-mingling together to create a great meal. I usually order the craziest pizza on menus; potato pizza, lemon pizza, pulled pork and Asian slaw pizza. I like to venture out.

One pizza in particular is always on my mind and on my radar. There is a local restaurant that sells a flatbread with all the flavors I add to this pizza. I wanted to make it at home, adding extra of what I love and trying to lower the fat content. I think I've done that here.

The dough recipe is NOT mine. I saw it on Instagram, thought it was a crazy recipe, decided to try it out. Worked out beautifully.




Chicken Pesto Pizza
 Makes one 12X12 inch pizza

Pizza Dough

1 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
1 c flour (I used AP, but you could try wheat)
1 tsp salt

In a stand mixer with dough hook attachment, add all ingredients and let mix for 5 minutes on low speed. Let dough rest for 20-30 minutes before rolling it out.  (yup, that's the whole recipe)

Pesto

1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 c fresh spinach leaves
1/4 c pine nuts, toasted
juice of one lemon
2 garlic cloves
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
1/3 c olive oil
salt, pepper to taste

In a food processor OR blender, add basil, spinach, toasted pine nuts, lemon juice,  and garlic cloves, blending until finely chopped. Add the Parmesan cheese and pulse for 20 seconds. Remove the opening of the lid and while processor/blender is running, slowly stream in the olive oil. Once all the oil is in, taste to check seasonings, adding salt and pepper as needed. You may not use all the pesto, store extra in the fridge or freezer for sandwiches or pasta.

Toppings

1 c cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped  (I usually just bake one breast in the oven while the dough is resting, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper.)
1 1/2 c low fat mozzarella (I use fresh mozzarella found in the deli case, that I cut into slices)
1 can quartered artichoke hearts, packed in water, diced
8 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1 c fresh spinach leaves


Assembly

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll dough on a floured surface, into a circle or rectangle, based on the pan you are using to bake in. Cookie sheets, pizza pans, pizza stones, all work. If using metal cookware, grease the pan before placing dough onto it. Roll dough to about 1/4 inch thickness and place on pizza pan. Top dough with pesto, cooked chicken pieces, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and cheese. DO NOT ADD SPINACH AT THIS POINT. Bake at 400 degrees F on lowest shelf for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is brown on the bottom. Remove from oven and top with fresh spinach. Cut into slices and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment