Cupcakes

Cupcakes
Diary of a Foodie

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Raised Yeast Waffles




I grew up in a home where everything was made from scratch, grown in the garden, and canned by my mom. I didn't even know what an Eggo waffle was until I was in college. And when I tried one, I was very disappointed. Poor Eggo didn't stand a chance against homemade waffles.

This is my mom's recipe and I haven't done one thing to the recipe. Why mess with perfection?


Raised Yeast Waffles (yields 12, 8 inch circle waffles)

1 c warm milk (Around 105 degrees F)
1 1/2 c warm water (same temp)
2 T sugar
1 T dry fast acting yeast
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 t salt
1 egg
3 c all purpose flour


 Preheat waffle iron. Mine has settings of 1-5 and I set it to 3 which gives the waffle a nice brown crust, If you like darker waffles, set it to a higher temp. As all waffles irons are different, follow the instructions on yours.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together milk, water, sugar and yeast. Let set for about 10 minutes to let the yeast activate. After ten minutes, whisk in the oil, salt, egg and half of the flour. Whisk until no more lumps. Add the rest of the flour and whisk until smooth.

Let the dough rise in a warm area for another 10 minutes. It will almost double in volume so be sure you've used a large enough mixing bowl.

My waffle iron makes 8 inch circles, so I use 1/3 c of batter for each waffle. Pour into an UNGREASED waffle iron and cook until done, about 3 minutes.

Serve with maple syrup, whipped cream and fruit, Nutella and fruit, or whatever toppings you like.

TIP: You can make them ahead of time and freeze them. When ready to eat, toast them in your bread toaster. I do this for easy breakfasts when we're in a hurry.

1 comment:

  1. So I kinda sorta killed my digital thermometer by washing it with some kitchen towels. Does the temperature of the milk need to be pretty exact (as in, do you use a thermometer) or can you kind of guess? I guess with other yeasted stuff, but I wasn't sure if these waffles were different.

    ReplyDelete